async defer src="//assets.pinterest.com/js/pinit.js" My Enchanting Cottage Garden: My Winter Garden Solace

Sunday, January 19, 2014

My Winter Garden Solace



The winter garden is unique in that it bring you as much joy and satisfaction as a noisy, vibrant summer garden.  The winter garden is subdued, less luxuriant but in its own quiet way can exude beauty, strength and passion.

  
Who doesn't feel the thrill of the first leaf unfurling it's soft green coat and the excitement of that first bud beginning to bloom. It springs hope eternal within us all.

While the garden chores are minimal in the winter, this gives you the time to take a leisurely stroll through the path and not have to stop every 2 minutes to disbud, or pull a weed here and there. Winter garden strolls are a time to reflect, take a good look at the bare bones of your garden with a keen eye on improving the beds, adding new plants and if the overall look of a bed is not pleasing, this is a good time to rearrange plants and trees without damaging the roots or putting the plant in shock, because it is already in a dormant state.


I took a few pictures of my garden, I hope you enjoy.




Hollyhock seedlings in the bed




The first strawberries on the year, it is January 18th

Organic Gardening (20000313) 2 Yrs., 12 issues - There's nothing more wholesome and natural than an organic garden. With Organic Gardening Magazine, you'll learn to start a new garden from the soil up, using nothing but natural ingredients, tools, and methods for weed control, insect control, plant disease control, fertilizers, and composting. You'll wonder how your conscience ever got away with using chemicals.





This is one of my first rose cuttings taken late last summer
I was trimming Westerland  CL rose and decided to plunk this little
piece in the ground, in the worst caleche soil,right by the block wall. It has certainly surpassed all my expectations.





One of my baby roses




My new baby rose cuttings. I started these in Oct. and put them outside in a raised bed and covered with a Diet Coke Bottle


The first bloom January 18th 




My hardy oregano bush


Carrots


Garlic


Collards

Garden Gate (20001505) 1 Year, 6 issues - Step in to a whole new world of gardening success. Every issue of Garden Gate Magazine is full of plant profiles, design ideas, and tips from fellow gardeners. Illustrated garden plans with detailed plant lists and practical how-to information help you grow the garden you've always wanted, without any advertising.



Onion bed


Bok Choy


Herb bed with artichoke, rosemary, sage, oregano and a 
rose cutting or two.







1 Year, 6 issues - Fine Gardening Magazine brings you breathtaking design ideas, helpful techniques, and the know-how to get great results in your own garden





In my unfinished greenhouse I have started
 rose cuttings in pots


Blooming stock in my unfinished greenhouse





My outdoor hotbed




A look at what's growing in the hotbed
this is a row of hollyhocks




My rose cuttings in the hotbed covered with 
whatever I have on hand



A closer look at an established little rose cutting


A close look at the rose under glass



Inside the greenhouse rose cuttings in a
 pot with my Lemon tree


Rose cuttings in pots under plastic


I took nips off my succulent plants, this is I start new plants


Succulents in the make shift greenhouse

1 Year, 4 issues - Discover the secret behind glorious gardens! Perennial, meadow, butterfly, herb gardens of all kinds. Country Gardens Magazine has beautiful color photos, easy-to-follow planting diagrams, helpful how-to gorgeous results!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a gardening question.