async defer src="//assets.pinterest.com/js/pinit.js" My Enchanting Cottage Garden: Essence of a Spring Cottage Garden

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Essence of a Spring Cottage Garden

DSC03100

When I think of Cottage Gardens I invariably think a lush mixture of plants, colors, textures, art ornaments, trees, and last but not least a Garden Shed.  Finally after living in Las Vegas for 3 years and planting, tilling, adding compost, building, and planting again, I think my little Eden is taking shape.  Now mind you having a Cottage Garden in Las Vegas is no easy feat, but as with anything, a little work, a little time and a whole lot of patience and you can do it.

DSC03093

Las Vegas or high Desert gardening is some ways is no different from any area, plants bloom earlier than eastern gardens but they require the same ingredients, sun, water and nutrients.  The ground in high desert gardens is deplete of any nutrients, not even a worm will live here, though I do have an abundance of grubs. I have gardened in the northern state of Ohio and in the Southern state of Alabama and in both areas I hade to add compost, and other soil building ingredients. California is probably the only state I know of that comes with ready–to-grow soil. I can say finally after working my soil for three years I now have worms!  I also have fruit bearing trees. You can see the Chinese pear apple in the foreground and the pink nectarine in the distance.


DSC03094
We have really strong winds year round and this plays havoc with the young growing trees, most of my trees all have unusual shapes, but I think it adds to the interest and character of the tree.

DSC03095 

I love the winters in Las Vegas, even though we can get a week or two of really cold weather, it does not affect the petunias, the result is a big lush container when spring arrives.  Nicotiana blooming on the right.

 DSC03097
Windowbox of succulents and a blooming nectarine.

DSC03098         DSC03099

If you are a regular reader of my blog you know I am enthralled with all types of nasturtiums.  This is a climbing whirlybird.  Another plant that will bloom all winter.

DSC03101                 DSC03102
An essence of a Cottage Garden is a nice quiet place to rest and meditate and watch the evening hummingbirds and listen to the trickle of water.

DSC03103
                  



DSC03106  IF I DIDN’T KNOW BETTER, I would have thought it a hummingbird, this rapid wing-beating insect that swooped into my yard Sunday afternoon, drinking the sweet nectar of the yellow petunia.
DSC03104 
Often confused with a hummingbird, this white-lined Sphinx moth whips its wings at up to 85 beats per second.  I found photographing this fascinating creature an incredible challenge. As you can see from the many blurred photos. Seriously I must have taken 20 photos, honestly could not this moth simply just hover in one spot for maybe a minute? 










.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a gardening question.