async defer src="//assets.pinterest.com/js/pinit.js" My Enchanting Cottage Garden: Spring Blooms in the Cottage Garden

Friday, February 20, 2015

Spring Blooms in the Cottage Garden

 

DSC03059

Containers planted in the fall bloom lushly in the warm spring air. Petunia

mixed with white stock and lilac snapdragon

 DSC03060 - Copy - Copy

A tri-colored primula stretches toward the warm sun.

DSC03061 - Copy - Copy

A simple yellow petunia adorned with intricate red stripes.  Petunia’s tend to be very

hardy in the winter months if the temperature does not dip too low.

 

DSC03066 - Copy - Copy

A typical cool spring day in the mid to low 70’s is a good time to bring out

the seedlings and starter pots

 DSC03067 - Copy

Daffodils say HELLO Spring!  Goodbye winter!

DSC03068 - Copy

  I highly recommend Gaillardia (Arizona Sun)for beginner gardeners. They sow easy and fast

and soon spread and bloom all season long and into the winter.

DSC03069 - Copy - Copy

I have never seen an Iris bloom all winter, but this little jewel never stopped blooming not even for a week, I have divided it 3 times and even the divided rhizomes bloomed within 2 weeks.  I can’t even give you a name for it, as I bought it at some nursery on clearance. I will definitely put more re-bloomers on my “to buy” list for next year. 

 DSC03070 - Copy - Copy

I planted this little grouping to hide my air conditioning unit and it has not failed in that regard. I picked apples last year from my 2 year old tree. The bush green plant is rosemary, and under the apple tree is the ever faithful gaillardia. 

 DSC03071 - Copy - Copy

If I had a larger yard I would plant more apple trees. They are such a pretty site when in full bloom. 

 DSC03072 - Copy - Copy

I have never seen a plant grow as fast and bloom so quickly as the ever blooming gaillardia.   

    DSC03074

I added a little whimsy with yard art. At the base you can see the green

of the opium poppy not yet blooming but soon they will pop their little heads up

.DSC03075 - Copy - Copy

Bokchoy anyone?  

DSC03082

Window box of succulents

DSC03083

An old time Cottage Garden Favorite, Nasturtiums whirly bird. The unusual markings add interest to this plant.

.DSC03084

Spring blooms add interest to the walkway and enhances the curb appeal.

DSC03085

DSC03086 - Copy

Pansies, a Cottage Garden must have.

DSC03087

The cottage garden will have an assortment of plants. Here I have nasturtium,

stock, daffodils, asparagus, roses, lavender, coneflower.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a gardening question.